Autumn Maple-Pear Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Nut Pastry. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- In a large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, and apple pie spice. Add 6 cups pears; toss gently to coat. Transfer pear mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Drizzle with maple syrup. Trim pastry even with pie plate rim. Roll the remaining pastry ball into a 12-inch-diameter circle. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired.
- Using a sharp knife, cut several large slits in top pastry. In a small bowl combine egg and the water. Brush pastry with egg mixture.
- Tent pie with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until pears are tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, if desired, prepare Poached Pear Slices. Before serving, place the poached pear slice with the stem in center of pie and drizzle with caramel topping. Top some of the individual servings with the remaining poached pear slices and drizzle with caramel topping.
From the Test Kitchen
To make Poached Pear Slices, in a medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 inches stick cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, cut a large pear (7 to 8 ounces) from top to bottom into 1/4-inch slices (include the stem with one of the slices); remove seeds. Add pear slices to sugar mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or just until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pear slices to a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan. Cool pear slices; discard syrup. If desired, cover and chill pear slices for up to 24 hours before serving.
- In bowl combine flour; ground, toasted pecans or almonds; and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of mixture; toss with fork. Push moistened dough to side. Using a total of 8 to 12 tablespoons, repeat until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half; form each into a ball. On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll into a 13-inch circle. Repeat with remaining ball of dough.
Nutrition Facts (Autumn Maple-Pear Pie)
- Per serving:
- 468 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 357 mg sodium ,
- 66 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 31 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.