Asparagus Spring Rolls
- Cut asparagus into 3- to 4-inch pieces. In a large saucepan cook asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- In a large bowl stir together the rice vinegar, crushed red pepper, and sugar. Add asparagus; toss to coat. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat eggs lightly with a fork. Stir in chives. Pour oil into a medium nonstick skillet. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture; cook until eggs are set and surface just begins to look dry. Slide egg sheet from pan to a cutting board and cut into eight strips.
- To assemble spring rolls, pour hot water into a shallow dish. Dip one spring roll wrapper into the water; remove, allowing water to drip off. Transfer to a clean round dinner plate. Place about 4 to 6 pieces asparagus and an egg strip on the bottom center of the spring roll wrapper. Top with ham strips and lettuce leaves. Fold bottom edge of spring roll wrapper over filling. Fold up and in the opposite sides; roll up from the bottom. Repeat with remaining wrappers, asparagus, egg, ham, and lettuce. Discard any remaining liquid from asparagus. Serve with Lime Aioli.
From the Test Kitchen
To make ahead, cover spring rolls and chill up to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and lime peel; season to taste with pepper. Cover and chill until serving or up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Asparagus Spring Rolls )
- Per serving:
- 422 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 14 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 175 mg chol.,
- 726 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet