Asparagus-Egg-Prosciutto Tart with Spring Salad
sheet frozen puff pastry dough (1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
tablespoons olive oil
pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and bias-cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
cloves garlic, minced
Ground black pepper
cup crumbled goat cheese (chevre) or feta cheese
tablespoons snipped fresh chives
slices prosciutto (about 1 1/2 ounces total), torn
tablespoon cider vinegar
teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
cups torn lettuce leaves, such as butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce or red leaf lettuce
small bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced*
cup thinly sliced red radishes
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Unfold the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface; roll out into a 14x11-inch rectangle, trimming to even the edges. Using a sharp knife, score a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Transfer pastry to the prepared baking sheet; prick pastry several times with a fork. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange asparagus mixture over baked pastry, keeping within the edges.
- Break eggs, one at a time, into a small dish;** carefully pour eggs onto the tart, spacing them evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or just until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Remove tart from oven. Sprinkle with goat cheese, chives, and prosciutto.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a large bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the cider vinegar, mustard, honey, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Whisk until combined. Add lettuce, fennel, and radishes to dressing in bowl. Toss to combine. Serve lettuce mixture with tart.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a mandoline or a food processor fitted with a thin slicing blade to thinly slice the fennel.
This is in case the yolk breaks, it won't break onto the tart.
Nutrition Facts(Asparagus-Egg-Prosciutto Tart with Spring Salad)
- Per serving:
- 441 kcal cal.,
- 32 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 196 mg chol.,
- 553 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet