Asian-Style Fried Rice and Beans
Canned beans are our pantry super hero, rescuing dinner on those nights when you just don't have time to go to the grocery store. We love the nuttiness of garbanzo beans here, but you can substitute others such as black or pinto beans depending on what's on hand.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 14 mins to 16 mins
- Quarter pineapple slices. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add pineapple; cook about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Pour the remaining 1 teaspoon oil into the hot skillet. Add carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until just tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in brown rice, garbanzo beans, and peas. Add soy sauce. Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the 1/3 cup cilantro. Return pineapple to skillet; heat through.
- To serve, squeeze lime over pineapple mixture. If desired, top with additional cilantro leaves.
Fresh ginger is a freezer gem. Place unpeeled ginger in a freezer bag. When a recipe calls for fresh ginger, peel and grate in its frozen state, no thawing required.
Leftover or quick-cooking microwaveable rice also works great.
- Per serving:
- 350 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 711 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 10 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet