Asian-Brined Chicken with Sesame-Cilantro Pesto
- For brine, in a large stock pot (big enough to hold the chicken) bring 2 cups water to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce, honey, curry powder, ginger, coriander, chili-garlic paste, and orange peel. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups ice-cold water.
- Submerge chicken in the brine. If necessary, weigh down the chicken by placing a small plate on top. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 8 to 24 hours. Remove chicken from brine; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.
- Coat unheated grill rack with cooking spray. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place the chicken on the grill rack over the drip pan, overlapping pieces as necessary. Cover and grill 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the leg registers 180 degrees F, turning and rearranging pieces once halfway through grilling time. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place chicken on oiled grill rack over the burner that is turned off, overlapping pieces as necessary. Grill as above.)
- Serve chicken with the Sesame-Cilantro Pesto.
- In a food processor combine the green onions, peanuts, ginger and garlic; cover and pulse until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Add the cilantro and mint; pulse until finely chopped. Add water, canola oil, fish sauce and crushed red pepper; puree until nearly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the sesame oil.
Nutrition Facts (Asian-Brined Chicken with Sesame-Cilantro Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 184 mg chol.,
- 332 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet