Argentinean Rolled Flank Steak
The day before:
- Trim fat from meat. Score both sides of meat in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place meat between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound meat lightly until about 1/4 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a large skillet cook chile peppers, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Arrange ham slices evenly over meat. Spread pepper mixture over ham; sprinkle with cheese. Starting from a long side, roll up into a spiral. Tie in three or four places with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Place in a storage container or resealable plastic bag; cover or seal and chill overnight. Meanwhile, prepare Chimichurri Sauce. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote meat roll and sauce in an insulated cooler with ice packs.**
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place meat roll on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 40 to 45 minutes for medium (150 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.) Remove from grill.
- Cover meat roll with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. (Temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degrees F.) Remove and discard string. Cut meat roll into 1-inch slices. Serve with sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
If you like, serve warm tortillas with the meat. Stack flour or corn tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. While the meat is grilling, add tortilla packet to grill. Heat about 10 minutes or until warm, turning once.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
Cutting board and sharp knife
- In a food processor or blender combine fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves, olive oil, shallot, fresh oregano leaves, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cover and process just until chopped and a few herb leaves are still visible. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Argentinean Rolled Flank Steak)
- Per serving:
- 631 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 1273 mg sodium ,
- 58 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.