Apricot Custard Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 52 mins 450°F /350 degrees F
Apricot Custard Pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan combine preserves, cornstarch, the water, and ginger. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Spread over bottom of pastry shell.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, the 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, and the salt. Gradually stir in half-and-half until combined.
- Place pastry shell on oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours.
- To serve, pipe or spoon whipped cream on top of pie. If desired, sprinkle with additional cardamom.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
Nutrition Facts (Apricot Custard Pie)
- Per serving:
- 442 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 153 mg chol.,
- 292 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet