- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface roll one pastry ball into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry circle into a 9-inch pie plate without stretching it; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apples and, if desired, dried cranberries; toss gently to coat. If apples lack tartness, add lemon juice. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with pie plate rim.
- Roll remaining pastry ball into a 12-inch circle. Cut slits in pastry and/or cut apple shapes from pastry with a 1- to 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond outside edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. If using, place apple shapes on top of pastry. In a small bowl combine egg and the water. Brush pastry with egg mixture and sprinkle with turbinado and/or coarse sugar.
- Cover edge of pie loosely with foil. Bake for 40 minutes; remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until apples are tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack about 2 hours to serve warm, or cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Apple Crumb Pie:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 recipe Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie for Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie. Fill pastry-lined pie plate as directed. For topping, in a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup packed brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over apple mixture. Do not brush with egg mixture or sprinkle with turbinado and/or coarse sugar. Bake as directed.
Nutrition per serving: 462 calories, 4 g protein, 77 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 8% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 240 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 10% iron
Pastry for Double Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Add additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all is moistened. Divide dough in half; form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry as directed. Add filling and roll out remaining dough as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Pie)
- Per serving:
- 441 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 229 mg sodium,
- 68 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 35 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet