Apple Pie Tacos
- In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
- In a heavy large saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F over medium heat. Use a deep-frying thermometer to monitor temperature.
- Using tongs, place one tortilla in the oil for 5 seconds. Turn it over and hold in a curved shape with the tongs for 1 minute or until crisp and browned. Immediately remove from the oil, letting any excess drip off, and dip in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan heat butter and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until softened. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Slowly drizzle into hot apple mixture while stirring and continue to cook until apples are tender and filling is thickened. Continue to simmer 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Spoon filling into prepared shells and serve immediately. If desired, top with whipped topping and caramel topping, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have a frying thermometer, use a little scrap of tortilla to put in the oil and make sure it's at the correct temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Pie Tacos)
- Per serving:
- 145 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 16 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
pbmerrmaid2982906 8 Days Ago
Yes, you missed a step. In the ingredients list it tells you to buy the ready-made corn tortillas. That should make it much easier, lol.
cadlmd2 8 Days Ago
I made these and they were so good. I made with the caramel and also used chocolate drizzled on another batch.
ryske311 27 Days Ago
Great idea in theory... but how does mixing sugar and cinnamon make a tortilla?! you simply cannot fry a sugar and cinnamon mixture and make it into a "tortilla"! Unless I missed a very vital step in the video and/or instructions!