- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, 1/3 cup butter, granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down . Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- For filling, in a medium bowl stir together brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly.
- Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with filling, leaving about 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Top with apples. Roll up rectangle, starting from the filled long side; pinch dough to seal seam. Cut into 12 slices. Arrange in the prepared baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden, covering loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto another wire rack; cool slightly. Invert again onto a serving platter. Spread or drizzle with Vanilla Frosting. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 5, except do not let rise after arranging in pan. Cover loosely with oiled waxed paper, then with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Before baking, let chilled rolls stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed. Or prepare, bake, and cool rolls as directed. Do not frost. Wrap in plastic wrap, then overwrap in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw at room temperature. Spread or drizzle with Vanilla Frosting.
Caramel-Pecan Apple-Cinnamon Rolls:
Prepare as directed through Step 4. For caramel mixture, in a small saucepan combine 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 2 tablespoons light-color corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown sugar is dissolved. Pour into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans. Continue as directed in Step 5, arranging rolls on top of caramel mixture. After baking, invert rolls onto a serving platter. Omit Vanilla Frosting. Makes 12 rolls.
Nutrition Facts per roll: 537 cal., 8 g protein, 76 g carb., 23 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 99 mg chol., 3 g dietary fiber, 13% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 251 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 17% iron
- In a medium bowl beat 1 cup powdered sugar, butter, 2 milk, and vanilla. Gradually beat in 2 cups additional powdered sugar. If necessary, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading or drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 545 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 94 mg chol.,
- 234 mg sodium,
- 91 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 52 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet