Apple Cake with Buttery Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined. Scrape side of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Fold in apples and walnuts. (Batter will be thick.) Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 45 minutes. Serve warm with Buttery Caramel Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool cake; cover cake pan with foil and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw covered cake in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat cake, covered, in a 325 degrees F oven about 30 minutes or until warm. Sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
Buttery Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in granulated sugar, brown sugar, and whipping cream. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Cake with Buttery Caramel Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 369 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 59 mg chol.,
- 188 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 38 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet