Apple-Berry Pie in a Jar
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 jars
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 375°F
Apple-Berry Pie in a Jar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry. Divide the two-thirds portion into six equal portions. Place a portion into each of six 1-cup wide-mouth canning jars. Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of each jar. Set jars aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, and salt. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Fold in raspberries. Spoon 1/2 cup fruit mixture into each pastry-lined jar.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the remaining one-third portion of pastry into a 13-inch circle. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut out six pastry circles. Using a small cutter, cut desired shape in the center of each circle.
- Place a pastry circle on top of fruit mixture in each jar. Press the pastry around the inside of the jar rim. Lightly brush pastry and cutout with milk; place cutout on top of pastry, pressing gently. Sprinkle pastry with coarse sugar. (Alternately, cut desired shapes from pastry circle and arrange shapes on top of fruit mixture. Brush shapes with milk and sprinkle with sugar.)
- Place jars in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Place jars in a covered container or resealable plastic bag. Freeze for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed in Step 5.
LATTICE-TOPPED PIE IN A JAR:
Prepare as directed, but instead of cutting dough circles, cut the dough into 3/8-inch-wide strips. Cut strips into 4-inch lengths. Place three pastry strips parallel on filling in each jar. Give each jar a quarter turn. Arrange three more pastry strips perpendicular to the first strips. Trim strips even with jar. Using your fingers, press strips into the pastry inside of the jar rim. Brush with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake as directed.
CRUMB-TOPPED PIE IN A JAR:
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Instead of topping with pastry, in a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, dash salt, and dash ground cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or almonds. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over fruit filing in each jar. Bake as directed.
PER PIE: 595 calories, 28 g total fat (12 g sat. fat, 1 g trans fat), 39 mg chol., 418 mg sodium, 82 g carbo., 6 g fiber, 6 g pro. EXCHANGES: 1 Fruit, 4 1/2 Other Carbo., 6 Fat
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry into two portions: one-third of the dough and two-thirds of the dough.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Berry Pie in a Jar)
- Per serving:
- 586 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 498 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 30 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet