Apple and Cheddar Penne Pie
cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
ounces dried penne pasta (3 1/2 cups)
cups chopped peeled tart cooking apples (3 medium)
cup chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla (1 small)
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups whole milk
cup apple cider
3 ounce packages cream cheese, softened and cut up
cups shredded white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter. Sprinkle sides of pan with 1/3 cup of the panko to coat; set aside. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon softened butter. Stir the remaining 1/3 cup panko and 1 teaspoon of the thyme into melted butter; set aside.
- Cook pasta 2 minutes less than directed by package directions; drain. Return pasta to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook apples and onion in the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt, and pepper to saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and apple cider. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add cheeses and the remaining 2 teaspoons thyme; stir until cheese melts.
- Add sauce mixture to pasta; stir to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved panko mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Let stand on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Using a serrated knife, cut pie into eight wedges. If desired, top with fresh thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts(Apple and Cheddar Penne Pie)
- Per serving:
- 469 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 71 mg chol.,
- 438 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet