- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice, drained and cooled
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 2 egg whites
- Clarified butter or canola oil
- 4 6 ounces smoked trout, broken into pieces (or thinly sliced smoked salmon)
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or dairy sour cream
- 2 ounces caviar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
1. In a large bowl whisk together milk, cornmeal, flour, and melted butter. Stir in wild rice. Lightly beat egg yolks with a fork and stir into wild rice mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and parsley. In a small mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); fold egg whites into rice mixture.
2. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a little clarified butter. Ladle about 1/4 cup of batter onto heated surface and cook about 1 minute or until bubbles appear uniformly on upper side and bottom is browned. Turn pancake over and cook about 1 minute more or until bottom is browned. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in a warm oven while cooking remaining pancakes.
3. Place pancakes on a serving platter. Top each with some smoked trout, a little creme fraiche, caviar (if desired), and a sprinkle of chives. Makes 10 servings.