White Bean Spread
15 ounce can great Northern or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
cup canned chicken or vegetable broth
tablespoon olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil (optional)
Fresh marjoram leaves and rosemary (optional)
Home-Baked Pita Chips (see recipe, below; optional)
- In a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker combine great Northern beans, broth, the 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, the 1 teaspoon snipped marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon snipped rosemary, and the pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Slightly mash bean mixture using a potato masher. Spoon bean mixture into a serving bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional fresh marjoram and rosemary; serve either warm or at room temperature with Home-Baked Pita Chips (recipe below), if desired. Makes 20 (2-tablespoon) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make ahead, cook and mash beans as directed. Transfer bean mixture to a covered container. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bring bean mixture to room temperature before serving.
Home-Baked Pita Chips
pita bread rounds
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
teaspoon kosher salt
- Split the pita bread rounds horizontally in half; cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place pita wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Combine the olive oil, fresh oregano, and kosher salt; brush pita wedges with oil mixture. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 chips.
Nutrition Facts(White Bean Spread)
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet