- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 15 ounce can great Northern or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Fresh marjoram leaves and rosemary (optional)
- Home-Baked Pita Chips (see recipe, below; optional)
1. In a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker combine great Northern beans, broth, the 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, the 1 teaspoon snipped marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon snipped rosemary, and the pepper.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Slightly mash bean mixture using a potato masher. Spoon bean mixture into a serving bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional fresh marjoram and rosemary; serve either warm or at room temperature with Home-Baked Pita Chips (recipe below), if desired. Makes 20 (2-tablespoon) servings.
- To make ahead, cook and mash beans as directed. Transfer bean mixture to a covered container. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bring bean mixture to room temperature before serving.
Yield: Makes 24 chips
- 2 pita bread rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Split the pita bread rounds horizontally in half; cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place pita wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Combine the olive oil, fresh oregano, and kosher salt; brush pita wedges with oil mixture. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 chips.
- Servings Per Recipe 20,
- cal. (kcal) 70,
- Fat, total (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 11,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 4,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 33,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet