White Bean Spread
This herbed bean dip is a delicious snack, whether you serve it warm or at room temperature.
- Makes: 20 servings
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoon
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs on low
- In a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker combine great Northern beans, broth, the 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, the 1 teaspoon snipped marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon snipped rosemary, and the pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Slightly mash bean mixture using a potato masher. Spoon bean mixture into a serving bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional fresh marjoram and rosemary; serve either warm or at room temperature with Home-Baked Pita Chips (recipe below), if desired. Makes 20 (2-tablespoon) servings.
To make ahead, cook and mash beans as directed. Transfer bean mixture to a covered container. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bring bean mixture to room temperature before serving.
- Split the pita bread rounds horizontally in half; cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place pita wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Combine the olive oil, fresh oregano, and kosher salt; brush pita wedges with oil mixture. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 chips.
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet