- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup shredded daikon (Oriental white radish) or radishes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup short thin strips cucumber
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 8 1/2 inches diameter rice papers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Boston or curly leaf lettuce
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Shredded carrot (optional)
1. In a small mixing bowl combine daikon or radishes, green onions, rice vinegar, sugar, jalapeno pepper, and sesame oil. In another small bowl combine the 1/2 cup carrot, the cucumber, snipped cilantro, and soy sauce. Cover both mixtures; chill at least 2 hours, stirring once. Drain both mixtures.
2. Pour 1 cup warm water into a pie plate. Carefully dip rice papers into water, one at a time. Place papers, not touching, on clean dry kitchen towels. Let soften for a few minutes until pliable.
3. Place 1/4 cup shredded lettuce on each rice paper near 1 edge. Place about 1 rounded tablespoon of each vegetable mixture on the lettuce. Fold in the ends. Beginning at that edge, tightly roll up the rice paper. Place, seam side down, on a plate. Cover with a damp towel. Repeat with remaining filling and papers. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Diagonally cut each roll in half crosswise. If desired, garnish with additional cilantro and shredded carrot. Makes 12 appetizers.
- Prepare daikon mixture and carrot mixture as above. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Drain mixtures and continue as above.
- cal. (kcal) 29,
- carb. (g) 6,
- fiber (g) 1,
- vit. A (RE) 165,
- vit. C (mg) 4,
- sodium (mg) 50,
- calcium (mg) 10,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet