- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 8 ounce loaf French bread (baguette)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red and/or yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped, pitted ripe olives
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper or 1 small banana pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cut bread into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of each slice lightly with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp and light brown, turning once.
2. For topping, stir together tomatoes, olives, green onion, jalapeno pepper (if desired), garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, oregano, and pepper.
3. To assemble, top each toasted slice with a little Parmesan cheese, then about 1 tablespoon of the tomato topping. Sprinkle each with some of the remaining Parmesan. Return slices to the baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese starts to melt and topping is heated through. Serve warm. Makes about 24.
- If desired, transfer toasted bread to a storage container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
- cal. (kcal) 58,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- chol. (mg) 3,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 2,
- vit. A (RE) 21,
- vit. C (mg) 2,
- sodium (mg) 104,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet