- Let shredded cheeses stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Toss cheeses with flour; set aside.
- Meanwhile, to toast the bread cubes, place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degreee F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp and toasted; set aside. To precook broccoli or cauliflower, in a saucepan bring a small amount of water to boiling; add florets. Simmer, covered, about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat wine over medium heat until small bubbles rise to the surface. Just before wine boils, reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly and making sure cheese is melted before adding more. Stir until the mixture bubbles gently.
- Stir in milk, kirsch, nutmeg, and white pepper. Transfer cheese mixture to a fondue pot. Keep mixture bubbling gently over a fondue burner. (If mixture becomes too thick, stir in a little more milk.) If desired, sprinkle with paprika. Serve with toasted bread cubes and/or florets.
- Makes 3-1/2 cups fondue (12 appetizer servings)
Nutrition Facts (Swiss Fondue)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 48 mg chol.,
- 299 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet