Skewered Shrimp and Zucchini with Basil Cream Sauce
8 ounce container fat-free or light dairy sour cream
cup snipped fresh basil
tablespoons snipped fresh chives
teaspoon ground black pepper
pounds fresh or frozen large shrimp
medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 1 pound total)
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel or lime peel
tablespoon orange juice or lime juice
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cups shredded fresh spinach, arugula, and/or romaine
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- For sauce, in a food processor or blender, combine sour cream, the sniped basil, the chives, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. On long skewers,* alternately thread shrimp and zucchini, leaving a 1/4-inch space between pieces. In a small bowl, combine oil, orange or lime peel, orange or lime juice, cayenne pepper, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; brush evenly on shrimp and zucchini.
- Place skewers on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill about 10 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once.
- Arrange shredded greens on a serving platter. Top with skewers. If desired, garnish sauce with basil leaves. Serve sauce with skewers. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts(Skewered Shrimp and Zucchini with Basil Cream Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 171 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 108 mg chol.,
- 447 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet