Puff pastry makes it easy to prepare these flaky appetizers that ooze with creamy Italian ricotta cheese.
- Yields: 18 puffs
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 20 mins
17 1/4 ounce package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
cup ricotta cheese
cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper
tablespoons grated Romano cheese
tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
Grated Romano cheese
- Unfold the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut each pastry sheet into nine 3-inch squares.
- For filling, in a medium bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, roasted red pepper, the 3 tablespoons Romano cheese, the parsley, oregano, and black pepper.
- Moisten the edges of each pastry square with milk. Spoon about 2 teaspoons filling onto one-half of each pastry square. Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling, forming a rectangle. Seal edges by pressing with the tines of a fork. With a sharp knife, cut slits in the top of each pastry bundle. Brush with milk; sprinkle with additional Romano cheese.
- Arrange pastry bundles on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes before servings. Makes 18 puffs.
Nutrition Facts (Ricotta Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 137 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 mg chol.,
- 137 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet