- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf Italian bread, split horizontally
- 1/4 cup purchased basil pesto
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- Fried Basil Leaves (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, remove from skillet.
2. Add sweet peppers, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and hot pepper sauce. Remove from heat.
3. Spread cut sides of Italian bread with pesto. Place chicken mixture and cheese on the bottom of loaf. Add the top of loaf and gently press together. Cut sandwich diagonally into four portions.
4. Preheat an electric sandwich press, a covered indoor grill, a large grill pan, or a large skillet. Place sandwich portions in the sandwich press or indoor grill; close lid. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. (If using a grill pan or skillet, place sandwich portions in grill pan or skillet. Weight down with a heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until bread is toasted. Turn sandwich portions over, weight down, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.)
5. Cut each sandwich portion diagonally into four slices; secure with toothpicks, if necessary. If desired, garnish with Fried Basil Leaves. Makes 16 appetizer servings.
- Rinse 16 fresh basil leaves; pat dry with paper towels. In a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add basil leaves, a few at a time, to hot oil; cook until crisp, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- cal. (kcal) 192,
- Fat, total (g) 8,
- chol. (mg) 18,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 21,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 10,
- sodium (mg) 313,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet