Petite Spring Rolls
This traditional New Year's Eve appetizer is made using rice paper. Find the wrap at Asian food specialty markets or large supermarkets.
- Yields: 16 spring rolls
- Start to Finish: 40 mins
Petite Spring Rolls
ounces rice vermicelli (rice sticks)
cup shredded napa cabbage
medium carrot, finely shredded
cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts or plain peanuts
tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
tablespoon snipped fresh mint
tablespoon oriental fish sauce or soy sauce
teaspoons cooking oil
teaspoon toasted sesame oil
teaspoon crushed red pepper
8-inch rice papers
cup hoisin sauce
cup plum sauce
- Cook vermicelli, uncovered, in boiling water for 2 minutes or just until limp. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain well. Chop into short pieces.
- Combine vermicelli, cabbage, carrot, and peanuts in a large bowl.
- Combine cilantro, mint, fish sauce or soy sauce, cooking oil, sesame oil, and red pepper in another bowl; add to noodle mixture. Toss ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour warm water into a large shallow dish. Dip 1 or 2 rice papers at a time into water; gently shake off excess. Place the wet rice papers between clean, damp, 100% cotton kitchen towels; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the noodle mixture onto one rice paper, just below center of paper. Tightly roll filled rice paper up from bottom, tucking in opposite sides as you roll. Repeat with remaining papers and noodle mixture, covering rolls as you make them to prevent drying.
- For dipping sauce, combine hoisin sauce, plum sauce, and the 1/4 cup water. Serve with spring rolls.
Nutrition Facts (Petite Spring Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 102 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- 181 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesAppetizers, Asian Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Easy Appetizers, Ethnic Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Party Appetizers, Rice and Grains Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes