Mustard-Glazed Pork Skewers
- Soak twenty to twenty-four 6-inch wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before grilling or broiling. Drain before using.
- For chutney, in a medium saucepan, stir together brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and cinnamon. Stir in apple, dried apricots, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Bring mixture to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Cover and boil gently for 10 minutes. Uncover and boil gently about 5 minutes more or until chutney reaches desired consistency. (A small amount of liquid should remain.) Cool slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together apple juice, Dijon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; set aside. Trim fat from pork. Cut pork across the grain into thin strips about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. Thread pork strips, accordion-style, onto wooden skewers. Lightly brush mustard mixture on both sides of pork.
- Place skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals. Grill for 7 to 8 minutes or until pork is slightly pink in center, turning once. (Or place skewers on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 7 to 8 minutes or until pork is slightly pink in center, turning once.) To serve, arrange skewers on a serving platter; serve with chutney. Makes 20 to 24 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the chutney as directed; cool. Transfer to an airtight container and chill for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Mustard-Glazed Pork Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 80 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 15 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet