- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta or bacon (1-1/2 slices), chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or other mushrooms
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white parts only)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp and/or baby scallops*
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook pancetta until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan. Drain on paper towels; cover and chill. Add mushrooms, leeks, and garlic to the Dutch oven; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until mushrooms and leeks are tender.
2. Carefully add broth, potatoes, and pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in carrot.
3. Stir together flour and melted margarine. Add flour mxture and half-and-half to Dutch oven. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add shrimp and/or scallops and pancetta. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes more or until shrimp are pink and scallops are opaque. Ladle into bowls. If desired, garnish with lemon slices and/or fresh thyme. Makes 8 main-dish or 12 side-dish servings.
- If you use frozen shrimp and/or scallops, thaw them before adding to the chowder.
- Prepare Mushroom, Leek, and Seafood Chowder as directed through step 2. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. To serve, in a Dutch oven bring chilled soup mixture to simmering. Continue as directed in step 3.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 231,
- Fat, total (g) 13,
- chol. (mg) 85,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 18,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 13,
- vit. A (RE) 484,
- vit. C (mg) 7,
- sodium (mg) 453,
- calcium (mg) 81,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet