Mini Reuben Melts
Creamy Caramelized Onions (see recipe below)
slices party pumpernickel bread
tablespoons olive oil
ounces thinly sliced corned beef
ounces thinly sliced gruyere cheese, cut into 2-inch squares
cup bottled Thousand Island salad dressing
- Prepare Creamy Caramelized Onions. Adjust oven rack so it is about 5 inches from the heat. Preheat broiler.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with oil. Place half of the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Turn bread slices over to use for bottoms of sandwiches. Divide corned beef and the caramelized onions among bottom slices of bread; add cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through and cheese starts to melt. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Place the remaining bread slices on the baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Spoon a small amount of salad dressing onto the bottom of each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices. Makes 16 appetizers.
Creamy Caramelized Onions
teaspoons olive oil
pound onions, thinly sliced
cup whipping cream
cup dry sherry
tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
tablespoon packed brown sugar
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large heavy ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, combine whipping cream; dry sherry; Dijon-style mustard; brown sugar; garlic; salt; ground allspice; and ground black pepper. Pour mixture over onions; stir to combine. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts(Mini Reuben Melts)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 21 mg chol.,
- 324 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet