- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 Creamy Caramelized Onions (see recipe below)
- 32 slices party pumpernickel bread
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces thinly sliced corned beef
- 4 ounces thinly sliced gruyere cheese, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1/3 cup bottled Thousand Island salad dressing
1. Prepare Creamy Caramelized Onions. Adjust oven rack so it is about 5 inches from the heat. Preheat broiler.
2. Brush one side of each bread slice with oil. Place half of the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Turn bread slices over to use for bottoms of sandwiches. Divide corned beef and the caramelized onions among bottom slices of bread; add cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through and cheese starts to melt. Transfer to a serving platter.
3. Place the remaining bread slices on the baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
4. Spoon a small amount of salad dressing onto the bottom of each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices. Makes 16 appetizers.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large heavy ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, combine whipping cream; dry sherry; Dijon-style mustard; brown sugar; garlic; salt; ground allspice; and ground black pepper. Pour mixture over onions; stir to combine. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- cal. (kcal) 142,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 21,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 10,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 6,
- sodium (mg) 324,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet