Mini Meat Turnovers
Refrigerated biscuits replace the homemade pastry traditionally used in these Mexican meat-filled turnovers, simplifying preparation.
- Makes: 40 servings
- Serving Size: 1 turnover
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 10 mins to 12 mins 350°F per batch
- For filling, in a large skillet cook ground beef until brown; drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.
- Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Separate biscuits; cut each biscuit in half horizontally. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of biscuit dough into a 4-inch circle. Place about 1 tablespoon filling onto half of each circle. Fold opposite side of circle up and over filling. Brush edges with a little milk; seal edges with a fork.
- Place filled turnovers 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet; brush with milk. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, serve with salsa for dipping. Makes 40 turnovers.
Cool turnovers completely on wire racks. Place in an airtight freezer container; freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, transfer frozen turnovers to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
Cover hot turnovers tightly. Transport in an insulated carrier.
If making the 40-turnover recipe, remove only one package of biscuits from the refrigerator at a time.
- Per serving:
- 60 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 9 mg chol.,
- 175 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet