Hot Artichoke Spread
This baked vegetable spread served with slices of French bread or bagel chips is a welcome addition to any party table. Use the make-ahead directions to ease your party preparation duties.
- Makes: 40 servings
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoon
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 350°F
Hot Artichoke Spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 10-inch skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, milk, mayonnaise, sour cream, and pepper. Stir in spinach, artichoke hearts, and the onion mixture. Spread cheese mixture in the bottom of a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated and top begins to brown. Serve with bagel chips, crostini, or French bread. Makes about 40 (2-tablespoon) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through Step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Uncover and bake in a 350 degrees F oven as directed about 40 minutes or until bubbly.
Hot Feta Cheese and Olive Spread:
Prepare as above in Step 1. In Step 2, substitute 1 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato for 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese; substitute 1/2 cup halved, pitted kalamata olives for the artichoke hearts; and add 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil. Continue as above in Step 3. If desired, serve with Toasted Pita Bread Wedges.
Hot Sausage and Mushroom Spread:
Prepare as above in Step 1, except omit the butter and cook 8 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage, 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, and 1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper with the onion and garlic; drain off fat. Set sausage mixture aside to cool. For Step 2, substitute 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese for 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese and omit the artichoke hearts.
Nutrition Facts (Hot Artichoke Spread)
- Per serving:
- 58 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 14 mg chol.,
- 138 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet