- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
pints red and yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
clove garlic, minced
tsp. balsamic vinegar
tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 lb. loaves frozen pizza dough, thawed
cup extra virgin olive oil
tsp. dried oregano, crushed
tsp. dried basil, crushed
to 14-oz. deli-sliced mozzarella, cut into 2 inch pieces
Small Fresh Basil Leaves (optional)
1. In a 13x9x2-inch disposable foil pan combine tomatoes, 1 tablespoons oil, garlic, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano.
2. For a charcoal grill, grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 9 minutes or until tomatoes are wilted, stirring occasionally. Remove from grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place pan on grill rack. Cover and grill as above.)
3. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll pizza dough, one loaf at a time, into a 15x12-inch rectangle (covering dough and letting rest occasionally during rolling). Cover dough loosely and let rest 10 minutes. Cut out circles using a 2 to 2-1/2-inch round cutter. Discard trimmings. Place circles on lightly greased baking sheets. Combine the 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. oregano, and basil in a bowl. Brush mixture over both sides of the dough circles. Prick circles with a fork.
4. For a charcoal or gas grill, place about a dozen* dough circles directly onto the well oiled grill rack directly over medium coals. Cover and grill 2 minutes. Turn the circles over, press down to flatten, and top each with 1 piece of cheese. Close grill and cook until the cheese melts and the dough is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a baking sheet and top each with a spoonful of cooked tomatoes. Repeat with remaining circles, cheese, and tomatoes. Keep cheese topped dough rounds warm in a 250 degree f oven or serve at room temperature. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
5. If desired, sprinkle with basil leaves. Makes 56 to 60 poppers.
Oven Method: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cook tomatoes in oven for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake dough rounds on baking sheets for 7 minutes; turn and top with cheese. Return to oven and bake 2 minutes more. Top with tomatoes as above.
Make Ahead: Grill or bake dough rounds but do not top with cheese. Just before serving top with cheese and return to grill (about 12 at a time) over medium-low heat or place on baking sheet. Grill or bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
*Tip: Don't try to grill more than a dozen rounds at a time or some of then will be overcooked.
- Total Fat (g)2
- Saturated Fat (g)1,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)1,
- Cholesterol (mg)3,
- Sodium (mg)104,
- Carbohydrate (g)8,
- Total Sugar (g)1,
- Protein (g)2,
- Vitamin C (DV%)3,
- Calcium (DV%)3,
- Iron (DV%)15,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet