Ginger Shrimp Skewers
fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells (about 12 ounces)
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
tablespoons orange juice
tablespoon white wine vinegar
teaspoon toasted sesame oil or olive oil
teaspoon cayenne pepper
clove garlic, minced
fresh pea pods
canned mandarin orange sections
Reduced-sodium soy sauce (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). In a large saucepan, bring the water to boiling. Add shrimp. Cover and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Drain. Rinse shrimp with cold water; drain.
- Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. Add the orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic to bag. Seal bag; turn to coat shrimp. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place pea pods in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam for 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Drain shrimp, discarding marinade. Wrap each shrimp with a pea pod. On each of eight 6-inch skewers, thread two wrapped shrimp and one mandarin orange section. If desired, serve with soy sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed in Step 1. Place shrimp in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in Step 2 through 4.
Nutrition Facts(Ginger Shrimp Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 44 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 48 mg chol.,
- 58 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet