- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 16 fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 fresh pea pods
- 8 canned mandarin orange sections
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). In a large saucepan, bring the water to boiling. Add shrimp. Cover and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Drain. Rinse shrimp with cold water; drain.
2. Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. Add the orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic to bag. Seal bag; turn to coat shrimp. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Place pea pods in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam for 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
4. Drain shrimp, discarding marinade. Wrap each shrimp with a pea pod. On each of eight 6-inch skewers, thread two wrapped shrimp and one mandarin orange section. If desired, serve with soy sauce.
- Prepare as directed in Step 1. Place shrimp in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in Step 2 through 4.
- cal. (kcal) 44,
- Fat, total (g) 1,
- chol. (mg) 48,
- carb. (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 7,
- sodium (mg) 58,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet