Festive Cheese Tortas
- Stir together one carton of the mascarpone cheese and the 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese in a medium mixing bowl; set aside.
- Stir together the basil pesto and half of the second carton of mascarpone cheese in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- Stir together dried tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and remaining mascarpone cheese in a second small bowl; set aside.
- Line an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, extending excess over edges. Sprinkle pine nuts in a single layer in bottom of prepared pan.
- Drop about half of the Parmigiano-mascarpone mixture by small spoonfuls over the pine nuts; carefully press or spread over mixture. Layer with one-third of the provolone cheese, overlapping and trimming as necessary to fit. Top with pesto mixture. Top with another one-third of the provolone cheese as above.
- Drop the remaining Parmigiano-mascarpone mixture by spoonfuls over the provolone cheese, carefully pressing or spreading mixture. Add remaining provolone cheese. Spread the dried tomato mixture over all.
- Fold plastic wrap to cover loaf; gently press loaf down. Place a second 8x4x2-inch loaf pan on top, then place two 14- to 16-ounce cans in the second pan for weight. Chill loaf with weights in place several hours or overnight.
- Carefully invert loaf onto a cutting board. Gently cut torta crosswise into thirds using a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Wrap each third individually in plastic wrap. Makes 3 tortas (8 to 10 servings each).