Roasting the eggplant whole will keep it from getting too dry and enhance its sweet flavor for this delicious appetizer recipe. If company is coming, make it ahead and chill until you are ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Yields: 3 cups
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 8 hrs
- Bake: 1 hr 375°F
cup golden raisins
tablespoons cider vinegar
large eggplant (about 1-1/2 lb.)
medium green and/or red sweet pepper, chopped
tablespoons olive oil
jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
teaspoons finely chopped garlic
medium tomato, chopped
tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Toasted baguette slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In nonreactive saucepan combine raisins and vinegar. Bring to boiling; remove from heat, cover; set aside.
- With tip of knife pierce eggplant in 5 or 6 places. Place on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Roast for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until eggplant is soft to touch and collapsing. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, cut eggplant in half lengthwise; scoop out flesh. Coarsely chop flesh; set aside.
- In 10-inch skillet cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in jalapeno, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in raisin-vinegar mixture, eggplant, tomato, and honey. Bring to simmer and cook 5 minutes; cool. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve with toasted baguette slices. Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Eggplant Relish)
- Per serving:
- 37 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet