cup golden raisins
tablespoons cider vinegar
large eggplant (about 1-1/2 lb.)
medium green and/or red sweet pepper, chopped
tablespoons olive oil
jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
teaspoons finely chopped garlic
medium tomato, chopped
tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Toasted baguette slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In nonreactive saucepan combine raisins and vinegar. Bring to boiling; remove from heat, cover; set aside.
- With tip of knife pierce eggplant in 5 or 6 places. Place on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Roast for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until eggplant is soft to touch and collapsing. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, cut eggplant in half lengthwise; scoop out flesh. Coarsely chop flesh; set aside.
- In 10-inch skillet cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in jalapeno, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in raisin-vinegar mixture, eggplant, tomato, and honey. Bring to simmer and cook 5 minutes; cool. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve with toasted baguette slices. Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Eggplant Relish)
- Per serving:
- 37 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet