- Yields: 36 appeizers
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 6 mins
Citrusy Bean-Topped Bruschetta
medium oranges (about 1-1/4 pounds)
15 ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
cups chopped cucumber
green onions, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
tablespoons white wine vinegar
tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
tablespoons olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
slices French bread cut 1/2 inch thick
Olive oil nonstick spray coating
- Finely shred enough orange peel to make 1 teaspoon; set aside. Peel oranges. Working over a glass measure to catch the juice, section oranges (should have about 1-1/2 cups orange sections). Set juice aside. Combine the orange sections, beans, tomato, cucumber, and green onion in a large bowl.
- For dressing, combine 1/4 cup of the reserved orange juice (add additional juice, if necessary), vinegar, oregano, olive oil, the 1 teaspoon orange peel, garlic, pepper, and salt in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well. Pour dressing over bean mixture. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill bean mixture for 3 to 24 hours.
- Slightly mash bean mixture.
- Lightly coat both sides of each bread slice with olive oil cooking spray. Arrange slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven about 6 minutes or until crisp and light golden brown, turning once.
- To assemble, stir bean mixture. Spoon about 2 tablespoons bean mixture atop each warm toast slice. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Makes 36 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts (Citrusy Bean-Topped Bruschetta)
- Per serving:
- 103 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 1 mg chol.,
- 245 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet