Chile-Lime Grilled Tiger Shrimp with Avocado Cocktail Sauce
fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoons habanero chile sauce
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Avocado Cocktail Sauce
Sour cream (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine lime juice, habanero chile sauce, and garlic. Pour marinade over shrimp. Seal bag; turn to coat shrimp. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to 1 hour, turning bag occasionally (the shrimp will get spicier the longer they marinate). Drain shrimp, discarding marinade.
- Thread shrimp onto four or five metal or bamboo* skewers, leaving 1/4-inch space between shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 7 to 9 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, divide Avocado Cocktail Sauce evenly among eight chilled glasses. Remove shrimp from skewers. Place three shrimp in each glass. Garnish with lime wedges. If desired, top with sour cream.
- In a medium bowl combine 4 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped; one 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained; 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro; 2 tablespoons lime juice; 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish; 1 tablespoon Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken; 1/4 teaspoon salt; and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and chill for 2 to 6 hours. Makes about 4 cups.
- *If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water at least 1 hour before grilling.
Avocado Cocktail Sauce:
Nutrition Facts(Chile-Lime Grilled Tiger Shrimp with Avocado Cocktail Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 238 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 97 mg chol.,
- 494 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet