- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 24 fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons habanero chile sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado Cocktail Sauce
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
2. For marinade, in a small bowl combine lime juice, habanero chile sauce, and garlic. Pour marinade over shrimp. Seal bag; turn to coat shrimp. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to 1 hour, turning bag occasionally (the shrimp will get spicier the longer they marinate). Drain shrimp, discarding marinade.
3. Thread shrimp onto four or five metal or bamboo* skewers, leaving 1/4-inch space between shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 7 to 9 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
5. To serve, divide Avocado Cocktail Sauce evenly among eight chilled glasses. Remove shrimp from skewers. Place three shrimp in each glass. Garnish with lime wedges. If desired, top with sour cream.Avocado Cocktail Sauce::
6. In a medium bowl combine 4 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped; one 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained; 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro; 2 tablespoons lime juice; 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish; 1 tablespoon Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken; 1/4 teaspoon salt; and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and chill for 2 to 6 hours. Makes about 4 cups.
7. *If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water at least 1 hour before grilling.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 238,
- Fat, total (g) 15,
- chol. (mg) 97,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 13,
- fiber (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 15,
- vit. A (IU) 389,
- vit. C (mg) 19,
- sodium (mg) 494,
- calcium (mg) 71,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet