- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine cheese, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds, black and white sesame seeds, garlic powder, pepper, salt, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl beat together egg and water.
- On a lightly floured cutting board, unfold one sheet of puff pastry. Brush the surface lightly with some of the egg mixture. Top with half of the cheese mixture to evenly cover entire surface. Roll a floured rolling pin over cheese to gently press the cheese into the puff pastry.
- Cut the puff pastry into long 1/2-inch-wide strips; gently twist each strip several times. Lay strips 1 inch apart on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sheet of puff pastry, egg mixture and cheese mixture. Bake about 15 minutes or until the straws are golden in color. Cool on wire rack. Best served the same day but can be stored overnight in an airtight container. Makes 32 to 36 cheese straws.
Nutrition Facts (Cheese Straws)
- Per serving:
- 104 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 9 mg chol.,
- 109 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet