- In a medium bowl, combine Emmentaler and Gruyere cheeses. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cornstarch; toss gently to combine. Set aside.
- Rub the inside of a Dutch oven or fondue pot (whichever you use to serve the fondue) with the halved garlic clove. Discard garlic.
- In the same Dutch oven, heat wine over medium heat until small bubbles rise to the surface. Just before the wine boils, reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses, a little at a time, stirring constantly and making sure cheese melts before adding more. Stir until mixture bubbles gently. Stir in Kirsch (if desired), pepper, and nutmeg.
- If using a fondue pot, transfer cheese mixture to fondue pot. Keep mixture bubbling gently over an outdoor grill, open flame, or a fondue burner. (If mixture becomes too thick, gradually stir in a little additional wine.) Fit chunks of country bread onto long skewers or clean small tree twigs. Dip bread into cheese mixture. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cheese Fondue)
- Per serving:
- 421 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 68 mg chol.,
- 467 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet