- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl combine shredded cheese and butter; bring to room temperature (about 1 hour).
2. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in flour, salt, and red pepper. Divide the dough in half. Shape dough into two 7-inch logs. Wrap and chill logs for at least 1 hour.
3. Using a knife or a crinkle cutter, cut the cheese logs into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Makes about 54 crackers.
- Cut the paper into a 12-inch square. The larger the square, the larger the cracker holder. Pinpoint the center of the square by prefolding. To do this, bring two opposite sides together to fold the square in half. Unfold the paper and bring the remaining two opposite sides together and fold the paper in half again. Unfold the paper and bring the four corners to the center of the square. Flip this smaller square over and fold all four corners into the center. Fold this even smaller square in half and insert your thumb and forefinger into each of the four outer pockets. Bring your fingertips together to shape the container, then remove them. Invert container to expose pockets, right side up. Your four-pocketed container is ready to fill.
- Also try this... Choose decorative papers appropriate for the season or celebration to give Cheddar Crackers year-round.
- Decorative paper in desired color, scissors, and ruler.