Calypso Shrimp Skewers
ounces fresh or frozen medium shrimp
teaspoon grated fresh ginger
cup shredded coconut
cup finely chopped peanuts
3 ounce package thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into about 7x1/2-inch strips
7 ounce container creme fraiche
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- Soak about thirty 6-inch wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. Drain before using.
- Meanwhile, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Thread shrimp lengthwise onto skewers, starting at the tail ends and keeping the shrimp straight on the skewers. In a shallow dish, combine honey and ginger. In another shallow dish, combine coconut and peanuts. Brush honey mixture on all sides of the shrimp, then roll shrimp in coconut mixture to coat. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each shrimp.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above the drip pan. Place shrimp skewers on the grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 5 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. (Or preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange shrimp skewers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.)
- In a small bowl, stir together creme fraiche and lime peel. Stir in enough lime juice to make dip of desired consistency. Serve the shrimp with creme fraiche mixture. Makes about 30 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
Assemble the shrimp skewers (do not grill or bake) and prepare the creme fraiche mixture as directed. Cover and chill separately for up to 6 hours. Grill or bake the shrimp skewers.
Nutrition Facts(Calypso Shrimp Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 108 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 3 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet