California Sushi Rolls
Roll your own low-fat sushi with a combination of fillings. Finish it off by dipping in a ginger-based sauce.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 12 sushi rolls
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
California Sushi Rolls
sheets nori (seaweed) (each about 8 inches square)
recipe Sushi Rice Filling
recipe Honey Ginger Sauce
- Lay seaweed on a sushi mat lined with plastic wrap; with damp fingers, spread 1 cup of the Sushi Rice over each sheet to within 1 inch of the edge at one end. Arrange desired vegetable or seafood fillings just below center.
- Roll seaweed toward the 1-inch unfilled edge. (To shape a tight even roll, place your hands under the edge of the mat closest to you. While carefully lifting the edge of the nori, roll the rice-topped seaweed away from you.) Press unfilled edge over top, brushing with water to seal, if necessary.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces; arrange on a platter. If desired, cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Serve with Honey-Ginger Sauce.
- Makes 12 sushi rolls.
Sushi Rice Filling
cup short grain rice
cup cold water
tablespoons rice vinegar
cup finely chopped carrot
tablespoon sake or dry sherry (optional)
- In a fine-mesh sieve wash rice under cold running water, rubbing grains together with your fingers. In a small saucepan combine rinsed rice, cold water, rice vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (rice should be sticky). Remove from heat; stir in carrot, sugar, and if desired,sake or dry sherry. Cover and cool about 45 minutes or until room temperature. (Rice can be prepared ahead; cover and chill for up to 3 days.) Makes about 2 cups.
tablespoons plum sauce
tablespoons soy sauce
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan combine honey, water, plum sauce, soy sauce, and ginger. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Strain into a small bowl; cool. Cover and chill. Makes a scant 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts (California Sushi Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 2 mg chol.,
- 539 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesAppetizers, Asian Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Fish and Seafood Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Easy Appetizers, Ethnic Recipes, Fish and Seafood Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Party Appetizers, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Rice and Grains Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Shellfish Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes