California Sushi Rolls
- Lay seaweed on a sushi mat lined with plastic wrap; with damp fingers, spread 1 cup of the Sushi Rice over each sheet to within 1 inch of the edge at one end. Arrange desired vegetable or seafood fillings just below center.
- Roll seaweed toward the 1-inch unfilled edge. (To shape a tight even roll, place your hands under the edge of the mat closest to you. While carefully lifting the edge of the nori, roll the rice-topped seaweed away from you.) Press unfilled edge over top, brushing with water to seal, if necessary.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces; arrange on a platter. If desired, cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Serve with Honey-Ginger Sauce.
- Makes 12 sushi rolls.
- In a small saucepan combine honey, water, plum sauce, soy sauce, and ginger. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Strain into a small bowl; cool. Cover and chill. Makes a scant 3/4 cup.
Sushi Rice Filling
- In a fine-mesh sieve wash rice under cold running water, rubbing grains together with your fingers. In a small saucepan combine rinsed rice, cold water, rice vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (rice should be sticky). Remove from heat; stir in carrot, sugar, and if desired,sake or dry sherry. Cover and cool about 45 minutes or until room temperature. (Rice can be prepared ahead; cover and chill for up to 3 days.) Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (California Sushi Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 2 mg chol.,
- 539 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet