California Sushi Rolls
sheets nori (seaweed) (each about 8 inches square)
recipe Sushi Rice Filling
recipe Honey Ginger Sauce
- Lay seaweed on a sushi mat lined with plastic wrap; with damp fingers, spread 1 cup of the Sushi Rice over each sheet to within 1 inch of the edge at one end. Arrange desired vegetable or seafood fillings just below center.
- Roll seaweed toward the 1-inch unfilled edge. (To shape a tight even roll, place your hands under the edge of the mat closest to you. While carefully lifting the edge of the nori, roll the rice-topped seaweed away from you.) Press unfilled edge over top, brushing with water to seal, if necessary.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces; arrange on a platter. If desired, cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Serve with Honey-Ginger Sauce.
- Makes 12 sushi rolls.
Sushi Rice Filling
cup short grain rice
cup cold water
tablespoons rice vinegar
cup finely chopped carrot
tablespoon sake or dry sherry (optional)
- In a fine-mesh sieve wash rice under cold running water, rubbing grains together with your fingers. In a small saucepan combine rinsed rice, cold water, rice vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (rice should be sticky). Remove from heat; stir in carrot, sugar, and if desired,sake or dry sherry. Cover and cool about 45 minutes or until room temperature. (Rice can be prepared ahead; cover and chill for up to 3 days.) Makes about 2 cups.
tablespoons plum sauce
tablespoons soy sauce
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan combine honey, water, plum sauce, soy sauce, and ginger. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Strain into a small bowl; cool. Cover and chill. Makes a scant 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts(California Sushi Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 2 mg chol.,
- 539 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet