Blueberry Tea Scone Mix
- Prepare Vanilla Sugar. In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, the 1/3 cup Vanilla Sugar, milk powder, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in blueberries.
- Layer flour mixture and blueberries in a 1-quart jar, starting with the flour mixture. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle contents. Add additional dried blueberries to fill small gaps, if necessary. Cover and store mix in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks or in freezer for up to 6 months. Makes 1 jar mix.
From the Test Kitchen
Ingredients: 1 egg, beaten; 1/4 cup water; milk (optional); coarse sugar (optional)
1. Place contents of the jar in a large mixing bowl. Add egg and water; stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quickly knead by folding and gently pressing for 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth.
2. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 10 wedges, dipping knife into flour between cuts. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
3. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm. Makes 10 scones.
To Present This Gift...
Arrange hankies in the basket with some of the edges folded over the side of the basket. Tie a generous ribbon bow around the jar containing the prepared scone mix. Trim the ribbon ends, if necessary. Place the jar in the basket. Arrange ready-to-eat scones around the jar. Include preparation directions, below, with gift.
Also try this...
Use clean fabric scraps as an alternative to the handkerchiefs.
To present this gift you will need:
Clean new or vintage handkerchiefs, basket, ribbon, scissors
- Fill a quart jar with 4 cups sugar. Cut a vanilla bean in half lengthwise and insert both halves into sugar. Secure lid and store in a cool dry place for several weeks before using. Will keep indefinitely.
Nutrition Facts (Blueberry Tea Scone Mix)
- Per serving:
- 246 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 117 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.