Angel Food Cake
- In a very large mixing bowl allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift together powdered sugar and flour three times; set aside.
- Adjust baking rack to the lowest position in oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. (If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake; cool thoroughly in the inverted pan. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake from pan.
From the Test Kitchen
Chocolate Angel Food Cake:
Prepare as above, except sift 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder with the flour mixture.
Honey Angel Food Cake:
Prepare as above, except in Step 2, after beating egg white mixture to soft peaks, gradually pour 1/4 cup honey in a thin stream over the egg white mixture and reduce granulated sugar to 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Angel Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 172 kcal cal.,
- 51 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 29 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet