- Segment grapefruit and oranges over a bowl to catch juices. Set segments aside. In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and gelatin. Measure citrus juice, then add enough orange juice to equal 1-3/4 cups. Add juice to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Gently stir in citrus segments. Immediately pour into trifle dish as directed in Layer 1.
- LAYER 1 Pour citrus gelatin into a shallow 9- to 10-inch diameter, straight-sided clear glass bowl or trifle dish. Refrigerate least 3 hours before adding remaining layers.
- LAYER 2 Stir together sour cream and the milk. Spread on gelatin layer.
- LAYER 3 Spread cherries on sour cream layer.
- LAYER 4 Top cherry layer with marshmallows.
- LAYER 5 Sprinkle with coconut, then top with stemmed maraschino cherries, if desired. (If assembling well ahead of serving, wait to add final layer until time to serve.)
Nutrition Facts (Ambrosia-Cherry Trifle)
- Per serving:
- 363 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 44 mg sodium,
- 73 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 61 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet