All-Purpose Pizza Sauce
- In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients except the salt and water. Taste sauce and whisk in 1/4 cup water and enough salt to taste. If necessary, add more water to thin. Peter Reinhart says, "If the sauce is thick at this stage, it will be pasty on the pizza. It should easily spread over the dough.") Taste again and adjust the salt, if needed.
- For an 8- to 10-inch pizza, use 1/4 cup of the sauce. For bolder flavor, add the variations to the basic sauce.
- Place 1 cup of peeled garlic cloves (3 to 4 bulbs). in a small saucepan with enough olive oil to cover the garlic (about 1 cup). Simmer over medium heat about 20 minutes, until garlic is a rich dark golden brown on the outside. They should develop what resembles a crust. Continue to cook until garlic is dark, rich brown. Stir occasionally to prevent garlic from sticking to the pan and burning. Remove from heat. Let garlic stand in oil for 15 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer garlic to a plate lined with paper towels. Transfer remaining oil to a jar with tightly fitting lid. Separately refrigerate garlic and oil, tightly covered, up to 2 weeks.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator 2 hours before assembling pizzas. Prepare and preheat oven. Top each pizza with 1/4 cup All-Purpose Sauce, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, and several basil leaves brushed with olive oil. Bake as directed.
Peter's Pizza Margherita
From the Test Kitchen
Add 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata or ripe olives, 1 tablespoons capers and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
Nutrition Analysis: 31 calories, 1 g protein, 6 g carb., 1 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 10% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 220 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 5% iron
Whisk in 1/2 cup Pesto alla Genovese (see recipe) into the pasta sauce. Taste and add more if desired.
Nutrition Analysis: 89 calories, 2 g protein, 6 g carb., 7 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 12% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 165 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 7% iron
Add 2 to 3 tablespoon of garlic oil (see Caramelized garlic recipe) and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
Nutrition Analysis: 42 calories, 1 g protein, 5 g carb., 3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 1 g fiber, 10% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 136 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 5% iron
Nutrition Facts(All-Purpose Pizza Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 22 kcal cal.,
- 136 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet