4-Layer Nougat Bars
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of the pan. Lightly grease the foil; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine chocolate pieces and 1 cup of the butterscotch pieces. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and combined. Transfer half of the mixture to a small saucepan; set aside.
- For the base, stir rice cereal into chocolate mixture in medium saucepan. Immediately pour the chocolate-cereal mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the back of a spoon or a thin offset spatula, spread mixture evenly in pan; press down to firmly pack mixture. Place pan in the freezer while preparing nougat layer.
- For the nougat, in a medium saucepan combine sugar, butter, and 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup butterscotch pieces; stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in the marshmallow creme and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter. Stir in the 1 3/4 cups chopped peanuts. Pour nougat over chilled base layer in the baking pan. Spread evenly to edges. Return pan to freezer while preparing caramel layer.
- For caramel layer, in a large microwave-safe bowl combine caramels and the remaining evaporated milk (about 2 tablespoons). Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 2 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour caramel layer evenly over nougat layer in pan, spreading to edges. Return pan to freezer while preparing last layer.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup peanut butter to the reserved chocolate-butterscotch mixture in the small saucepan. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate-butterscotch mixture over caramel layer. Spread evenly to edges.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped peanuts. Cover and chill bars for 2 hours. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars. Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (4-Layer Nougat Bars)
- Per serving:
- 162 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 66 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Patti 1485 Days Ago
In the final step where is says to chill is the refrig or freezer
Adrianne Barrett 1500 Days Ago
SOO delicious...and pretty easy to assemble! It tastes like a homemade Snickers bar...which is to say, VERY TASTY. We loved it, and all our guests want the recipe!