You and your vet are your cat's healthcare team; you observe and report, your vet diagnoses and treats. Your veterinarian will arrange a schedule of vaccinations and regular checkups; maintain a medical history of your cat; and provide preventive, critical, and emergency care. Your partnership with your vet will be a long-term relationship. Working together, you and your vet can help your cat have a healthy, happy life.
Start your search by asking people you know for recommendations. Turn to:
- friends, family members, coworkers and neighbors who have cats
- your local branch of a cat fanciers' association, your local or state veterinary association
- your local Yellow Pages
- Are you happy with your vet?
- What is the name of your vet? Where is his or her office located? Is it a group or solo practice?
- Why did you choose this vet?
- Can you tell me about a specific situation and why you feel your vet handled it well?
Compile a list of at least six vets to check out.
Continued on page 2: Phone Research