What You Need:
have a full house on your birthday.
- 1 recipe Citrus Yellow Cake
- 1 recipe Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 recipe Raspberry Filling
- Chocolate-flavored candy coating discs
- Red candy coating discs
- 8 ounces vanilla-flavored candy coating
1. Arrange cooled cake layers with bottom sides up. Spread each with a small amount of the frosting. Spread Raspberry Filling on top of one of the cake layers. Invert the remaining cake layer and place on top of the filling-covered cake layer.
2. Transfer cake to a serving plate. Frost sides and top generously with the remaining frosting. If desired, place some frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting along the top edge of cake. Cover loosely and chill until serving time, up to 24 hours.
3. Meanwhile, prepare garnish. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside. In very small microwave-safe bowls, melt the chocolate and red candy coating discs. Transfer to disposable decorating bags. Snip a very small hole in end of each bag. Pipe chocolate spades and clubs onto the waxed paper. Pipe red hearts and diamonds onto same piece of waxed paper. Chill about 10 minutes or until designs are hard. Melt vanilla-flavored candy coating in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat. Working quickly, pour evenly over half of the chilled designs and spread gently to an even thickness. Leave half of your piped designs uncovered. Shake the cookie sheet gently to smooth out the melted candy coating layer. Chill until set.
4. To unmold designs, gently peel waxed paper from the back of the candy coating. Set aside the designs that are separate and open. You will also have a sheet of vanilla candy coating that has designs piped on the back side. Turn it over onto a cutting board. Use a warm sharp knife to cut the sheet into small rectangles that each have a design. Decorate each piece of cake with a few open designs and a few rectangles (cards). Cake serves 12.