- Remove the door(s) from the kitchen cabinets.
- If the door's finish is rough, remove it with stripper. If the finish is in good condition, sand, and wipe with a cloth to remove sanding dust.
- Once the finish is removed, clean the door with sodium triphosphate solution, and apply stain-blocking primer.
- Starting at the top of the door, measure and mark three sections, the first 4 inches down, then another 8 inches down, leaving about 10 inches for the last section.
- Using three shades of the same hue, starting with the lightest and working down to the darkest, brush two coats of latex semigloss paint on each section.
- Cut two pieces of screen molding to the door's width, and seal with clear polyurethane. Using wood glue, attach each molding strip on the lines where paint colors meet. If necessary, use masking tape to hold the molding in place until the glue is dry.
continue reading below
The current issue of Kitchen Makeovers can be purchased at your local bookstore or newsstand. Back issues can be purchased by calling 1-800-867-8628, or ordered from the BHG.com store at the website link below.