- Using a router, remove the door's center panel. Chisel out the rounded corners left by the router so right angles remain.
- Sand, wipe with a cloth, clean with sodium triphosphate solution, apply stain-blocking primer, then semigloss latex paint.
- Wash a darker hue mixed with glaze over the frame to give the appearance of age.
- Cut a sheet of beaded-board paneling to the size of the frame opening. Coat the paneling with primer in the same base color used on the frame.
- When dry, paint it with white or off-white semigloss latex paint. While the white paint is still wet, lightly drag a screwdriver down the grooves of the paneling, allowing the undercoat to show through.
The current issue of Kitchen Makeovers can be purchased at your local bookstore or newsstand. Back issues can be purchased by calling 1-800-867-8628, or ordered from the BHG.com store at the website link below.