- Washers and dryers measure from about 24 to 33 inches wide.
- For loading and unloading, allow 36 inches in front of a washer, 42 inches for a dryer.
- Measurements differ for front-loading models; front-loaders are more accessible to wheelchair users.
- Stacked units usually occupy less than 33 square inches of floor space and may be more accessible to people who have difficulty bending or stooping.
- Installing a washer and dryer about 15 inches off the floor will make loading and unloading more comfortable. Look for sturdy pedestal bases specifically made for your models of laundry appliances.
- Washer-Dryer Combinations: These efficient appliances, designed for small spaces, are available in stacked, side-by-side, or all-in-one units. Before selecting one of these styles, consider where the combo will be located, such as in a closet or in an upstairs bedroom or bath. Selection criteria are the same as for standard washers and dryers.
Continued on page 3: Selecting a Washer