It's more than just extra counter space in the kitchen.
Your island can offer more than simply extra counter space. Make it a kitchen workhorse by equipping it with amenities such as eating space, cookbook storage, baking supplies, and a veggie sink.
When designing your dream island, consider these features and their requirements.
- A second sink. For food preparation or cleanup, an island sink is handy. It's smart to include a garbage disposal, so be aware of the additional plumbing and electrical needs.
- Cooktops. Island cooktops can tighten the work triangle and free display or work space on perimeter countertops. As with any cooktop, an island cooktop should have 12 inches of counter space on each side. Consult a professional to choose the appropriate ventilation system.
- Other appliances. Warming drawers, dishwashers, and wall ovens are all popular appliances for islands. For appliances, allow for additional electrical, gas, and plumbing accommodations and plan space for door clearance.
- Eating area. Seating swells the size of an island considerably. It is ideal to allow a minimum of 42 inches between the island and the cabinet or wall behind the seating. Plan a section of counter 21 to 24 inches wide for each person sitting at the island.
- Compartments for small appliances. Roll-out trays and pop-up appliance stands are two options. Although the island can be a convenient storage spot for these appliances, be aware that dangling electrical cords pose a safety hazard.
- Wine rack. For some, an island wine rack location may work perfectly. Unless you plan to enclose the rack, think twice if you have kids or pets. Also, island appliances may affect the area's temperature and rule out the possibility of a wine rack.
- Bookshelves. Shelves keep books handy and take advantage of otherwise unused space on an island's end. Measure your largest books and collectibles to ensure ample space.
- Cutting board. When installing a built-in cutting board, place it near a sink and a trash bin so you won't need to carry scraps across the kitchen.