DIY Remodeling Tips
If you are planning to do some remodeling yourself, here are some tips to ensure success and getting the most from your time and money.
If you're doing the remodeling work, pay attention to these tips:
continue reading below
- Don't underestimate the amount of time it will take to do a job. Typically, do-it-yourselfers plan three times more work than they can complete in a weekend.
- Spouses should plan to work together, drawing on each other's strengths. One person often is more of a planner and organizer; the other might be good at carrying out tasks.
- Brainstorm before each work session. You'll be able to solve problems before they arise.
- Know what you want. Study magazines, tear out photographs or rooms you like, and keep a folder of your favorites.
- Finish your initial design, then wait a year. Plans evolve, getting better and better.
- Search around before buying items or hiring people. You don't need to settle for expensive prices. You might decide to do some work yourself, recycle items, or shop for better prices on appliances and materials.
- Keep your home comfortable while you remodel. Clean up clutter every day and store tools and supplies out of sight.
- When you're remodeling an existing space, don't expect perfection. Some problems can't be solved without major expense, so be prepared to spend more or let an item go.